Default Font Size Icon

Financial Aid - Grants

Grants are gift aid and do not require repayment unless a student fails to maintain satisfactory progress and remain enrolled in class. Wenatchee Valley College awards the Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Education Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Washington College Grant, and Wenatchee Valley College tuition waiver and grant to eligible students. Grants other than Pell are awarded on a funds available basis. For this reason, timely applications are important.

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Generally, Pell grants are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or professional degree. (A professional degree is typically earned after earning a bachelor's degree in a field such as medicine, law, or dentistry.) In some cases, you may receive a Pell grant for attending a post baccalaureate teacher certification program. For many students, Pell grants provide a foundation of financial aid to which other aid may be added.

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, completed by the student and submitted to the U.S. Dept. of Education is used to process the Pell grant. A Student Aid Report (SAR) will be sent to the applicant. A copy of the SAR will be electronically transmitted to the financial aid office at WVC, where the actual amount of the Federal Pell Grant Award will then be determined. Full awards are based on a minimum of 12 credits. Students taking between 9-11 credits will be awarded on a ¾ time basis, and those taking 6-8 credits will be awarded on a ½ time basis. Students enrolled as undergraduates but who already have a bachelor's degree are not eligible.

Eligibility Limits:  Pell Grants are subject to remaining annual and lifetime limits. The WVC financial aid year includes FOUR (4) quarters.  Students are initially awarded up to 100% of their annual Pell limit, subject to remaining eligibility.  For most students, this will be three quarters of full-time Pell award.  Pell will be adjusted based on eligibility criteria and enrollment levels.   Students may receive less than, but not more than, the quarterly award limit. 

Additional ("Year-Round") Pell:  Students who have used 100% of their annual award prior to the end of the award year may be eligible to receive additional Pell, up to 150% of their annual Pell award limit.  Students must be enrolled in at least 6 credits to receive any portion of a Pell grant that is beyond 100% of their annual award.

The purpose of the FSEOG Program is to provide grants to students who demonstrate a calculated financial need. Students enrolled as undergraduates but who already have a bachelor's degree are not eligible. A student must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits or more) and must be Pell grant eligible before they can qualify for the SEOG.  SEOG funds are limited and not all students will be awarded these funds.

The college is given a specific allotment of money that comes from state appropriations and is available to assist low and lower/middle income Washington residents who enroll in eligible programs. Eligibility is determined using a methodology established by the state and administered by the Higher Education Coordinating Board. The student may receive the grant for a maximum of five years as long as they have not received an undergraduate degree. Five years is equal to 15 quarters. Also, a student may not be awarded the SNG if they have obtained credits that exceeded 125 percent of the published length of his or her program. A student must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for the SNG. State Need Grant funds are limited and awarded on a first come, first served basis.

These are awarded only to the amount of tuition and are only valid if tuition is not paid by any other agency. If you are awarded a tuition waiver, it cannot be replaced with any other funds. These funds are limited and are not guaranteed to be awarded each quarter or academic year. Generally, if a student is awarded the Pell grant and/or State Need Grant, they will not be awarded the WVC Tuition Waiver.

These grants are limited and may be awarded to resident applicants that are enrolled for at least 3 credits per quarter. These funds are limited and are not guaranteed to be awarded each quarter or academic year. Generally, students are awarded these funds if they do not qualify for other grant funds yet still have financial need as defined by the financial aid office.